Jan 10, 2009

"a galvanic mixture of charm and energy"


L-R, T-B:
1) The Promise Ring: Very Emergency
2) Randy Newman: Little Criminals
3) Randy Newman: Trouble in Paradise
4) The Rascals: Time Peace Greatest Hits
5) Ray Charles: Modern Songs in Country and Western Music
6) Robert Clary: Meet Robert Clary


1) The Promise Ring were one of the first bands I really loved. It was a short but brilliant affair between me and their albums in middle school and early high school. Then I forgot about them. Suddenly, sophomore year of college, I get really into Maritime--an amalgamation of Promise Ring and Dismemberment Plan members. So I got back into The Promise Ring and bought this and a Maritime LP from their website. Oh yeah, Maritime was on my radio show. You should've listened.

2) I think I got this one from MAMSROC. Since I haven't written about my records in a while, I'll remind you that MAMSROC stands for "middle aged man sells records on campus." It's a good album, but I rarely listen to it. According to Wikipedia, "In 1978, legislation was introduced to make playing the song ("Short People") on the radio illegal in Maryland, though the bill failed to pass." That's super ridiculous.

3) Also from MAMSROC. "I Love LA!" And it's true, I do. Do you? I once saw Randy Newman at the Hollywood Bowl and the entire audience of 17,000 or so was shouting "we love it" in the correct spots. It was weird.

4) 99 cents from Rhino! I bought this because I thought it looked cool--very Lichtenstein. "Groovin'" "Mustang Sally" etc., exactly what's to be expected from a Rascals greatest hit album.

5) I can't remember where I got this. But it is of course a classic album. Revolutionary, even. "Big band arrangements by Gerald Wilson and Gil Fuller." I LOVE Gerald Wilson. He taught at UCLA, you know.

6) I bought this album on Ebay, 'cause I really wanted it, 'cause I love Robert Clary. It's probably been made clear enough already but Hogan's Heroes is my favorite show. Robert Clary played Louis LaBeau, a French POW and one of the titular "heroes." Not only does this have really cute illustrations on the back, but it prooves that Robert Clary is a really great singer. Surprisingly, most of that show's cast members were good singers. The best song this album is "Fleur Bleue." Try to find it. It's worth your time.

No comments: