Jun 8, 2008

Morricone Youth

L-R, T-B:
1)U2 - Joshua Tree
2)Various Artists: Chanukah Songs
3)Various Artists: Do Re Mi
4)Various ArtistS: Do They Know It's Christmas?
5)Original Motion Picture Soundtrack: Eddie and the Cruisers
6)Ennio Morricone: Frantic

Guess who told herself she'd not do anything Friday night so she could write her essay? Guess who still hasn't done it and is instead blogging? Me? Correct!

1) This album is a classic; this album art is classic. The 49 cent price ain't bad either (Rhino). Also, this is definitely U2's best album. Period.

2) 1988! I have no idea where I got this. But it did teach me some things. While most Chanukah songs are "traditional," some are actually attributed to people. For example, "Chanukah, Oh Chanukah" is apparently by M. Rivesman. I have listened to all my records at least once, but that must be it for this one because I have no idea what it sounds like.

3) I don't know if you can tell this from the picture, but the red is showing through the black part which was cut to reveal the wonderful stuff underneath, especially the Phil Silvers illustration. I haven't seen this movie, but I like Silvers a lot. This is allegedly "A Great Razzle-Dazzle of a Musical!" As promised in an earlier post, here is another gem from the small print on the back of the outer sleeve: "This record contains the revolutionary new antistatic ingredient, 317x, ..." Woah, code name for antistatic ingredient!

4) They don't know a lot of things. Neither do we. MAMSROC!

5) I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to get this record. I saw this movie once on TV and thought it was alright. And then, I don't know exactly when or why, began to love it tremendously. I also saw the really bad sequel on TV relatively soon after that. It's an incredibly silly movie, but the main character (Eddie) is 80's good looking in a Bruce-Springsteen-kind-of-way and the songs of his "band" sound like sorta weak Bruce Springsteen songs. Y'all know how much I love The Boss. MAMSROC for two dollars, but I went to Record Surplus yesterday and they have at least two copies in the attic so you should go get it (92 cents, come on!). Especially great song = "On the Dark Side."

6) Another movie I haven't seen, nor probably will ever see. A Roman Polanski film. Roman Polanski is a creepster. Ennio Morricone!


No comments: