Jun 26, 2008

I'd rather be a forest than a street.

Back from a break of these little insights into my record collection, as records are now out of boxes and sprawled across the floor of my home rather than neatly organized alphabetically in my now previous apartment. Starting off where I left off:T-B, L-R:
1) Sergio Mendes - s/t (1983)
2) Shelley Berman - Outsie
3) Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends
4) Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
5) The Sinatra Family Wish You a Merry Christmas
6) The Special AKA - Free Nelson Mandela (The Special Remix)

1) I love Sergio Mendes; I don't love this album at all. But, hey, it was only 10 cents at the Rhino closing sale. Also, the peppers being bigger than his face -- a little silly.

2) Nice old Jewish comedian. I really like the cover drawing. Don't remember where I got it.

3) Inherited this from the parents, although someone named Sandler seems to have owned it at some point. It's a classic, obviously, and includes my favorite of their songs, "A Hazy Shade of Winter," and probably their best known, "Mrs. Robinson." When I saw Simon and Garfunkel on their Old Friends tour, I cried. But that was because of some weird medical nonsense that makes me crazy at super loud thunderous sounds, like marching bands and most things that happen at the Staples Center.

4) Another one from the parents, another classic. My favorite song on this album is "Cecilia," but I love that they had a song called "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" and also like the mostly Incan "El Condor Pasa."

5) wooo, gots to love the incorrect grammar of this record's title which I bought from MAMSROC. The Sinatra Family wishes, you know, not wish. But whatever, I forgive them, primarily because of Frank Jr.'s sock/shoe combo and Nancy Jr.'s sleeves. Also, this record is "under the direction of Nelson Riddle," a man who was pretty awesome.

6) I've been waiting to get to this record since the start of this series; it is definitely one of my favorites of all the ones I own. First, the boldness of the cover is great. Second, this album was produced by Elvis Costello and purchased during the height of my EC obsession during high school. This record has the LP version, instrumental mix, annnnd six-and-a-half minute club mix. Yeah, that's right, a spectacular dance song about social injustice. This one cost me a whole three bucks! One of my teachers in high school once recounted an anecdote of the I-didn't-need-to-know-but-thanks-I-guess variety: he and his sister used to dance on tables this song. There were a lot of colorful descriptors involved, but I have already forgotten those.

No comments: